Student Application Process
- Every student, K-14th grade is eligible for a computer, our program is NOT income based. Every child that applies receives a computer.
- Fill out an application.
- Have your child write an essay on why they need a computer and how it will help their education. If your child is young, or unable to write an essay, a drawing will suffice.
- There is a $35.00 non-refundable processing fee due when you send in the application. If you are unable to pay in full at that time, you can pay the remaining balance when you pick up the computer (See #7). We cannot accept checks on the distribution date.
- Allow 4 to 8 weeks for processing and preparation of your computer. Please include the application, the essay, and your check, or card numbers, when you apply. If we do not receive all 3 items it will delay the application process.
- When your application is processed, you will receive a letter in the mail stating a date when you can pick up the computer. At this time, there will be a class offered, where you and your child can receive a short demo by one of our "techs" to get you started and answer any questions. Please bring a thank you letter when you come. Your child is not required to attend but is welcomed to do so. A parent/guardian is needed to sign paperwork.
- If you did not send a check for the entire amount due with your application, you will need to pay cash, money order or credit card, for the remaining balance when you pick up your computer. For example: If you order Option A, you will include $35.00. There are no additional fees for your computer. If you order Option D for $65.00, you will include $35.00 with your application and pay the remaining $30.00 when you pick up your computer.
- Sponsored Computers - Option A only: If your child needs a sponsor, the child must be on the school lunch program. You must include a copy of your school lunch program approval letter, with your application, and your child's essay. There is a waiting list for the sponsored computers and may take up to 6 months for your child to receive a computer. It is important to keep your phone number and address up-to-date with the Computers For Kids office.
- Students can re-apply and receive a computer yearly.
- All computers come with one full year of tech support (free). In the event that a computer must be shipped to us for technical support, CFK is not responsible for any shipping and/or handling costs.
Download Student Application (pdf)